Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The Nursery Song

I never imagined having a decorated nursery.  Since babies aren't known for being art critics and toddlers don't seem to care what color a wall is as they are drawing on it with a crayon, I never saw a need.  As long as I had a room that was comfortable and had all the things babies needed, it didn't have to match or look "cute".
During our first conversation with S, she asked about a nursery.  Knowing it was important to her to see that we had a place set up and ready for baby, we set off right away to create a space that we would love and that would make her more comfortable.  Sticking with gender neutral colors and items that can be used all over the house if they survive the first few years in babies room, we have almost completed our nursery.
Only two items remain.  Our dear friend, Rosie, is writing his name in calligraphy to hang above his crib, which we won't put up until he is home as a sign of respect to the fact that we have no claim on him yet and to protect our hearts from having to take that name down if something is to change. 
And, of course, our little boy.






I don't know if our son will be the slightest bit interested in music, but I didn't think he would mind for the first few years of his life that I hang a special piece of sheet music on his wall.  Who knows, maybe he will learn to play this song someday, or maybe I'll hang it downstairs somewhere when we replace this sheet music with a basketball hoop or Nebraska Cornhusker fan stuff.  One of the things I look forward to most in parenting is discovering what my son enjoys and then learning all about it if it is something I've yet to have an interest in.  Unless it's bugs or snakes.  Then I will gladly support him from a safe distance.

The song, A Thousand Years by Christina Perri.  Originally on the soundtrack of a movie about a vampire love story,  this song is probably one of the first where the lyrics are equally as moving to me as the music accompanying it.

Putting aside that the song is actually very well written, the instrument choice is spot on and it is beautifully executed, the lyrics are what bring me to tears every time I hear this song.  I might be a music nerd, but I am rarely bought to tears by modern music.

The words describe how I have felt throughout the past few years as we have prayed for a child.  Every month that went by, all of the times I prayed for my baby to grow up to be a good, Godly person even when it didn't seem like we would ever have one.  When we gave all of the intimate details of our life to a stranger to prove we could be potential parents.   Every baby announcement, every time I missed a baby shower or avoided a pregnant woman.  When S chose us, when we met her in person and felt a love and respect for her and a gratitude I can't even express.  Even now, in the uncertain hope we have for less than 8 weeks from now, knowing she is committed in her decision but knowing how hard it will be for her.  Knowing how much we've wanted this, how hard it has been, and knowing the end result is the most important responsibility and greatest joy Jim and I will ever experience.


A Thousand Years, Christina Perri

Heart beats fast
Colors and promises
How to be brave?
How can I love when I'm afraid to fall?
But watching you stand alone,
All of my doubt suddenly goes away somehow.
One step closer
I have died every day waiting for you
Darling, don't be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more

Time stands still
Beauty in all she is
I will be brave
I will not let anything take away
What's standing in front of me
Every breath
Every hour has come to this
One step closer
I have died every day waiting for you
Darling, don't be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more
And all along I believed I would find you
Time has brought your heart to me
I have loved you for a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more
One step closer
One step closer
I have died every day waiting for you
Darling don't be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more
And all along I believed I would find you
Time has brought your heart to me
I have loved you for a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more

1 comment:

  1. love this, k! this love you have for your kid is all you need to be a great mom. can't wait to see you in your new role as momma!

    ReplyDelete