Sunday, November 22, 2015

"My Kids"

Yesterday was National Adoption Day.  And while that topic is obviously frequently on my mind-- or more accurately, always on my mind-- something else happened yesterday that I wanted to share.

Last night, the best high school musicians from Nebraska gathered together on one stage to sing or play in the jazz band, concert band or orchestra.  Among the less than 40 clarinets on stage for the concert band, in her black and orange uniform, was Raelyn.

Raelyn has taken lessons from me for years.  So many years in fact that in my too-tired-to-think-after-a-long-drive mind I can't remember how many.  She has always been a dedicated student with a natural talent and a desire to do well. She was my first student to have made it into all state band while taking lessons.  Her parents bought me a ticket, which was amazing, and then I drove across the state with a part of her family so I could be a part of her first all state concert. 

I have had a few students make it into the state level honor bands before, but after they had moved on to other instructors or they did it completely on their own.  Genevieve and Micah were both great students that I appreciate being able to say I was a part of their musical journey, even if it was just a small one.

I have had a lot of students be very close to making it or who sport similar high honors in music.  Some of my students who didn't make it into the band made it into choir.  All have attended honor bands and all have done a fantastic job on their instruments.

I'm fortunate because my job allows me to work with hard working, talented and generally awesome kids.  I'm fortunate that I get to show kids what I love to do. 

I have the privelage of being in their lives and the responsibility that entails.  I'm sure it resonates with a lot of educators when I say that I'm exceedingly proud of "my kids".  When "my kids" have a recital, everyone knows I'm not talking about my own children putting on a show, but the kids I instruct privately, who have all taken a piece of my heart.  When I show up at music booster meetings I don't think a lot of people question my intent-- because I have a few of "my kids" in these groups. 

I have no claim to them, I can't take a lot of credit for their talent and dedication. 

I can say that during the years of desiring to have children in my home, "my kids" were a highlight to my day.  "My kids" were part of the reason I wanted to become a parent in the first place. 

I am extremely grateful for all of "my kids" and I'm so proud of all of them. 

Courtney who has a natural talent and desire to do well who rocked her first recital last year after only a few lessons.
Sammi who just made 8th grade all state band and left the audience of our last recital breathless after her piano solo.
Abigail who was the most prepared student I had for all state auditions this year and who rocked it as a high soprano in the choir.
Ashley who has learned a few pieces far too advanced for her level, simply because she wanted to.
Hayden, who bravely did her first piano recital at 5 years old.
Brenna, who went to Europe this summer and has made it her personal goal to audition for every honor band ever, it seems. 
Michael, who is the first kid I know to start school band on a second instrument and that instrument was oboe.
Ryanna, who is an alternate for the 8th grade all state band this year and who can play her chromatic scale like mad.
Chase, who has the best vibrato from a high school oboe player I've ever heard and a beautiful singing voice.
Abby, who takes lessons here and there, who sang in the choir this weekend and is going into music education.
Raelyn, who went to Europe this year, made all state and is generally kicking butt and taking names with that clarinet of hers.

You all are one of the best parts of my week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment