Sunday, February 7, 2016

The Baby Shower

We have been married for a little over nine years and I can count on one hand the number of baby showers I have attended.  For many years I have avoided the pastel clad aisles of department stores, choosing to ignore the ridiculously cute, miniature items for sale there.
I was always genuinely happy for each expectant mother.  I was also sure that had I attended one of these parties I would have thoroughly enjoyed the companionship of the other women and the fun events that were planned.  Seeing pregnancy announcements, the cute smile of a toddler, an adorable pair of tiny shoes, the way a pregnant woman smiles when she holds her swelling midsection-- these things have been joyful. 
But there was always a chance.  Always a chance that one of these joyful things would be the reminder that would crush me beneath the weight of my potential childless future.  And while I would like to think I could pull my big girl pants up and deal with it well enough to hide any pain that might cause, I desperately didn't want to take the joy away from those celebrating.  So, to avoid being the girl crying in the bathroom at another woman's party, I have just not participated and let them celebrate without the threat of having me melt down.

Yesterday, however, I attended a baby shower I was beginning to think would never happen.  Surrounded by women who have prayed continuously for this little boy, I sat in a beautifully decorated room holding my little Josiah Samuel or opening gifts on his behalf.  My best friend and her daughter were there, my boss (Granny Shanny, to Josiah), my mother, running partners, students and their mothers, women from all walks of life at my church. 
Near me, a chair marked with his birth mothers name was reserved for her to represent her presence in his life.  I have yet to send her pictures of the event, but look forward to showing her the number of women who attended and the staggering number of books he received. 
After the presents were opened the women gathered around us and prayed over us.  I've never been the center of a prayer quite like that before, but it was surreal.  At one point, while I'm sure it wasn't particularly reverent of me, I looked through the crowd of women to peak at Danielle as she prayed not only for Josiah and I but for his whole family (biological included).  I may or may not have gotten choked up during that prayer.

I admit to arriving to the shower tired and a little overwhelmed.  I don't feel like I showed enough appreciation to those who attended or who put it on.  But let me assure you, the significance of that event is a memory we will cherish forever.  I loved the decorations, I loved the women who attended, every single gift was lovely (and he is now covered in the diaper, wipes, clothes and books departments).  I know that the women who put it on put a lot of work into it.  Thank you to everyone who came to celebrate Josiah.  We know that he will be loved by his church, his community, and his "family" (like Aunt Danielle and Cousin Kylynn).

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment