Wednesday, May 16, 2018

A Good Bye

Almost 9 years ago I walked nervously into the local music store to introduce myself.  I was hoping to establish myself as a private woodwinds instructor in our new town and I knew a relationship with the local music store was a must.
The owner enthusiastically welcomed us to Ogallala.  He apologized that he couldn't walk us over to the Chamber of Commerce to get a welcome packet, because the Chamber was closed that day.  I gave my contact information and as I was about leave he asked if I wanted to hear an oboe poem.  It wasn't a very flattering poem for us oboists, but I laughed regardless.
I was looking for a part time "day job".  I had visions of a full lesson schedule and volunteering with a job that just magically let me do both as well as have the same times off as my husband.  The pickings were slim.
Then, I received an email.  "We are looking for a part time bookkeeper," it read "we were wondering if you might be interested."  It was signed by Bob, Lou Kraus Music.

The next Monday I walked in at 9 AM as an employee of Lou Kraus Music, Inc.

I started the job without even asking what my pay would be.  I was just excited to be in my field.  I was excited to learn more about other parts of the music industry-- because it turns out, not everyone is a classically trained woodwind player.  I was excited to be in a business of literally 5 people, including the high school help.  It very quickly became "my store".

At first, people would call and ask for Bob or Luis and would almost refuse to even leave messages with me.  Soon, however, there were people who would call and ask for me specifically.  I painted many walls in that building, rearranged guitars and instruments and organized the office multiple times.  I talked Bob into going along with my hair brained ideas, like a reverse recital for teachers to perform for their students, helping as I started a jazz band in town and other random ideas.  I took over the window display and sheet music and was the only one excited about inventory day.

The store became somewhat of a family.  Christmas parties were held at our homes.  When we brought Josiah home, Bob and Shannon were the first to come see him (and they brought Mi Ranchito).  Josiah visited Uncle Bob and Uncle Luis at least once every week.  He has been changed on a guitar repair bench, he knows the name of instruments most kids wouldn't.  He has played a gong, a trap set, a piano, a guitar, a ukulele and whatever else we would let him touch at the store.

And now it's time to say goodbye.  The music store has been sold, the store front closing it's doors in less than a month.  While music is still alive and well in Ogallala and Bob will continue to be a local music guy, my little corner of the music store office desk will be emptied.  The pictures of my family are taken down, the fake rose I bought for a window display is already packed away at home.

It's an odd sensation, closing a chapter of life.  Nostalgia mixed with sadness and uncertainty of the future.  I may have only been there a couple of days a week, but this was part of what I called home.

I'll continue doing lessons and supporting our local music kids with the music boosters.  I'll keep playing at church and in different groups around town.  I'll stay at home with my kids (someday potentially soon it will be plural!) and everything will be fine.  A new normal will be created.  Driving downtown will be a bit different.  Things will shift.  But they'll be okay.  Change is not only inevitable but in the end, necessary.

Until my last day sitting at my burgundy office chair next to the bookshelf where I have been collecting the stickers from the tops of my chai lattes for the past couple of years, I will still be at the shop Monday and will be hosting one final solo night, on Tuesday, May 22, at 6:30.  I'll play one more clarinet solo surrounded by the music gear I've personally dusted a hundred times.  I'll applaud the performances of those people I would not have known had it not been for this job.

Good bye is never easy.  In fact, I'm broken hearted.  But I wish my store family the best and hope that Uncle Luis and Uncle Bob and Aunt Shannon will be in my children's lives as role models and music family.

No comments:

Post a Comment