Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Buy Intentionally

Our first shopping trip as a married couple consisted of groceries and filling in the marriage present gaps (like garbage bins and a broom... who asks for those on a registry, anyway?) at Wal*Mart.  I remember checking out with the overflowing cart and almost crying at the $250 amount I was asked to pay.  I had never spent that much on a shopping trip up until that point.  Being an adult was going to be hard.Out of necessity, we lived dirt cheap while we lived in Rapid.  I fed Jim and I for under $300 a month, often times closer to $200.  Our utilities were included in our low rent and we paid for internet, phone and car insurance.  We filled one car with gas every week and the other once a month or so.  If there was anything leftover (which there usually was) it went to Jim's school loans.
Back then, I didn't care where I bought it, who made it, if it was healthy or unhealthy--as long as it was cheap and usable.  Ramen noodles, Mac and Cheese and *shudder* Beefaroni were common in our kitchen.  We didn't buy produce because it went bad too quickly (when you buy from a large Wal*Mart, the produce quality is low.  Our fridge was never cool enough.  And... I was lazy).
When Jim was blessed with his job we were warned that we would definitely spend more money, it came with the territory.  And they were right-- our mortgage and utilities are higher than in Rapid.  And we have pets now, different interests and we like to eat much better than we did back then.  I also don't buy based on sales anymore, but on quality of product (but, if a quality product is one sale, I'm not going to complain about it!).
I have come to believe that knowing what you are buying and from who is very important.  Where you spend your money is where you place your support, whether you know it or not.  This is why I try to purchase everything I can, from groceries to house stuff, intentionally.
When we can, Jim and I buy local, buy organic/fair trade, buy from companies who treat us well, buy from companies who do things we support and buy products that really work for us.

Local--
As someone who works in a small town, locally owned business, I know the importance of knowing who you buy your products from.  If everyone bought their music equipment on-line, I wouldn't have a job.  And that would not be cool.  As someone who frequents the downtown stores, I also know that if no one bought coffee from the Lampstand or cute clothes from the Clothing Closet, I wouldn't have my favorite coffee shop or clothing store conveniently located because they would also have to close.  I would rather give my money to Kendra than the unknown owner of a Starbucks.
Since it applies to almost everything, I will have a little more on local in the sections below.


Organic and fair trade--
This is worth a post by itself so I will keep it brief here.  But when making a decision regarding my health, without being a biologist or chemist who knows exactly how my body reacts to chemicals sprayed on food, I choose to play it safe.  And without all the facts, fair trade is a better chance that I'm making a compassionate decision.
If I can buy locally grown produce from a garden down the road or honey from bees within an hour of my house, it tastes better and I know the people growing it and can ask them exactly what they used to grow it.  I can even make requests for what to grow next year!

Companies that treat us well--
I try to be a pretty nice customer.  I don't like to cause a stir and usually let things go.  I don't believe I'm always right as a customer at all.  But, I do expect you to treat me with the respect you should treat everyone as a fellow human.  Rudeness, or in the case of a business that is not to be named, billing, warrant a letter to a manager or higher up from me.  I write these letters and have them certified so they know that I know they received the letter.  If things are not handled after that letter, you won't receive my business.  Local or not.  I choose not to support people who treat others poorly.
I'll take this back to buying locally for a second.  In a business where you know the owner on a first name basis, you usually get better service, because it's a friend treating a friend right.  I walk into our local movie theatre and before I'm to the counter, my favorite drink is made and she's handing my husband cheesy popcorn.  I come into the Lampstand and every person behind the counter says "Hi, Kristin!" before getting my favorite beverage.  Someone comes into the music store that I know and I greet them by name and do whatever I can to help... or, if I'm being honest, run and get Bob or Luis, because, well, that's what most people want at the store :).

Companies that do things we support--
It's hard to know what companies support without a little research but I like to do it with as many products as possible.  When I can, I like to buy clothes from companies like Prana (who uses Fair Trade cotton), Life is Good (with a lot of donations to charities we support), and other companies that give back to the world in one way or another.  When I can, I buy Bear Naked granola who has a recycling program with their bags.  I appreciate that my car is a Subaru, a car company known for it's "green efficient" plants.
I shop at places in Ogallala that donate to things I believe in all the time.  Almost every local business has their hand in 4-H, Boy and Girl Scouts, school stuff, proms, local 5K races, fundraisers, you name it.  Easy to feel good knowing that your money can help with things for the kids and people in your community.

Things that work for us--
Sometimes, I find something that is just awesome for me.  I love Saucony running shoes.  I have looked into their practices as a company but couldn't find a lot good or bad.  They aren't an evil company by any means, I just didn't find a lot of things they get involved in that are important to me.  They aren't local, they don't use fair trade products.  But I can run in them without injury, which is pretty flippin' fantastic.
If I were to find out they were funding something awful like dog fights or something I would have to find another shoe.  Luckily, they aren't.  So, Saucony it is.  They don't fit the mold.  I can't buy them locally and I have no reason to feel good about my purchase other than lack of personal injury while running.  But that is enough for me!

Sometimes, you gotta do what works for you.  Which is why you won't see me judging people who buy non-organic produce or boxed meals or walk out of Wal*Mart.  Heck, you will probably see me in there a time or two, even if I do try to avoid it.  And you will notice the Ramen Noodles that still end up in my cart (my husband loves them) or that I go to North Platte to do some shopping every now and again.  Sometimes, the best decision and the decision we have to make aren't the same thing in our consumer lives and that's okay.
I'll just keep doing my best to buy wisely and I hope y'all do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment