Friday, March 4, 2016

Maybe I'm Thinking Too Much.

Our son is two months old and eleven pounds today.   He is doing well so far, though his number of bad nights continues to increase and his fussiness is increasing a bit.  But, I wasn't expecting the sleeping newborn for months.  I don't mind a few nights of poor sleep, but when they hit back to back, you have days like today... where I'm doing my best not to blink while writing this so I don't fall asleep mid sentence.  I know that sounds like a typical new mom, the being tired, so I apologize for not being interesting. 

During the past two months, having not a lot to do but hold a sleeping baby, I have had a lot of things to think through, the following is just one of them.

I don't want to wish a second away with our little blessing, but I am so looking forward to the days when he is more awake and coherent.  While cuddling my mostly sleeping baby has been all I've wanted and more, and while I know he is in a pretty easy phase of babyhood, I am waiting for the days when I detect recognition in his face regularly.

Becoming a mom the way I did, I wondered what bonding with my son would be like.  I worried that I would feel like I was caring for a little stranger, or that I wouldn't come to motherhood naturally because I didn't have the right hormones running rampant in my veins.  I worried that nurturing would be awkward for me, that I wouldn't fall in love with him as deeply as a parent should.
Those worries were vanquished when we were chosen and were completely cleared from view the moment he was born.  I have never for a second questioned Josiah being my son.  I love him more than I thought was possible.

But on the rare occasions that Josiah gets a contemplative look on his face-- a furrowed brow, his eyes focused intensely on mine-- I wonder if he is trying to find his birth mothers face.  On the few times that he has stared into the distance while laying on my chest, I wonder if he is remembering her faster heart beat and comparing it to my slower "runner pulse". 

I have no reason to believe that Josiah isn't comfortable and bonded to Jim and I at this point.  If I pick him up he almost instantly nuzzles into me, he smiles at my singing voice.  He is, overall, an easy going baby and we meet his needs countless times a day, including eye contact, reading, singing, love, cuddles, etc., etc.

Yet I wonder.  During our adoption preparation we were required to read a lot of books that focused on the negative aspects of adoption.  This is important, because the world has a rose colored view of the process that doesn't take into account some serious flaws and concerns.  But as I read, I became increasingly devastated.  I turned to the internet for some comfort and was of course met with more negative experiences, opinions and stories.

So selfishly I wait.  I enjoy the cuddles I have now, the longer naps, the pretty easy baby care, but I long for the moment when I can see, without a doubt, that Josiah looks at me and sees me as "mom".  The first time that my arms are the only ones that bring him comfort.  I look forward to that moment, because there are some moments... not very often... when, while I know Josiah is my son without a shadow of a doubt... sometimes I don't feel like he thinks I'm his mother.

Silly, maybe.  Temporary, most likely.  But still in my mind every once in a while.  Not right now, of course, as he has a hand on either side of me and he's sleeping with complete trust on my stomach.  Man, this kid is cute and has stolen my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment