Friday, March 10, 2017

A Weekend Of Firsts

There was a part of me expecting a call from our agency this weekend.  During our first long adoption wait, we refused to spend any frivolous money to honor the donations of people who had sacrificed financially to help us create our family, so we didn't do any traveling.  Jim had signed up for the Bike Ride Across Nebraska before we had really thought it all through, but I spent almost the entire year at home, spending as little money as possible. 
As someone who loves to travel and needs to see trees every now and again, I was getting itchy to get out of town.  Finally, after over a year of careful spending, we decided to take an inexpensive trip out of town to visit Jim's sister near Denver.  I signed up for a 10K and we bought a birthday gift for our nephew. 
Turning the corner not even a block from home on that Friday afternoon, my phone rang from a Kansas number-- our adoption agency state.  I had Jim pull over in front of our neighbors house.  I used the oil change receipt laying on the floor to write down the information we were being given-- a woman had chosen us and wanted to have a phone meeting before making her final decision.  That call would happen Monday.   We kept it quiet on our trip, because so many things could go wrong, but I attribute my 2nd place finish and over 6 minute PR to nerves and excitement for the upcoming phone call.

So a week ago, as I loaded Josiah into his car seat in the back of my parents vehicle, I wondered if I would get the call.  We were Nevada bound to visit some of my family.  The phone didn't ring, so our wait continues, but this time I have the privilege of watching my son experience everything for the first time to keep my occupied.

During our 6 day cross country trip, Josiah visited three new states-- Wyoming, Utah and Nevada.  He spent over 24 hours in his car seat.  He said "gamma" (Grandma) for the first time.  He met my sister, her family, and my aunt and uncle. 
He got to pet a chinchilla, pet and sit on a horse, be in the drivers seat of a police truck (turning on the lights and siren, of course), sit on a motorcycle and swim in a pool for the first time.  Not to mention eating out at many new restaurants, sleeping in new places and watching TV. 
For as long as he had to stay in his seat, and how many naps he skipped because new places are exciting, he did an excellent job as a one year old traveler.  And while I didn't get the call I was hoping for, I'm glad I got to do a little traveling with just my little buddy.

Grandma getting Josiah to fall asleep in the car.

Riding a horse (Red) with his cousin, Kinley.

LOVING sitting on a motorcycle.  I think we might be in trouble in the future.





1 comment: